Saturday, January 30, 2010

SNOW DAY!

Hey folks! So there had been a lot of talk this week about a giant snow storm coming through our area, but it's been a pretty mild winter here so far, so my hopes weren't too high.  The thing is, this time, IT HAPPENED! And it's realllly chilly! (think 20 degrees F...that's pretty dang cold in my book!)

Ok, so I didn't make this, I found it online. But I really wish I had thought of it!
But seriously, there's at least 3-4 inches on the ground from last night, and it's been sleeting/freezing rain-ing on and off all day, so the roads are supa slick. YIKES! So I think I'll just use today to lounge around and catch up on some trashy reality TV good quality reading and posting!

So obviously with the nippy weather and cozy snow-day mood, I woke up really looking forward to a hot bowl o' oatmeal to hit the spot! As I was eating my cinnamon raisin Quaker Oats Quick Oats and catching up on some of my favorite health blogs, I found this recipe that I am DEFINITELY trying tomorrow! Remember how I tried to make a good pumpkin-flavored oatmeal and it didn't come out as well as I had hoped?  Well ooooh mah gah, look how pump-tastic THIS looks (from carrotsncake.com):
DROOOOOOOOL
"Baked" Pumpkin Oatmeal

  • 1 packet of Maple Brown Sugar instant oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
Directions:

  1. Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl; mix well
  2. Cook in microwave for 2 minutes
  3. Allow to cool before enjoying
How easy is that?! And GOOD-SOUNDING?! I was definitely meant to make this, because I just happened to pick up a can of organic pumpkin at the grocery last night! (which was an absolute zoo because of the impending snow storm...sheesh) I might even have to make it for a snack instead of waiting for tomorrow's breakfast...I'll let you know how it goes!

Another one of my experiments that happened yesterday (inspired by your AMAZING-looking banana filled with peanut butter and walnuts creation, Claire!) was a PBJ banana that actually turned out delishuss!
Peanut buttah and jelly bananie

And Claire, you're totally right - it is SO much funner (funner = a step up from "more fun") eating the banana like a sandwich! I really don't know why, but I don't care, I'm doin' it all the time now. 

The only problem with this snik-snak is that it is insanely messy...like, the messiest food I've ever had. I literally had peanut butter and jelly dripping down my forearms (but don't worry, I didn't let it go to waste).  I suppose that's because I jam-packed it full. But maybe scooping out the insides of the banana to make a little ditch for the filling would help, or even freezing the whole thing for a while to help it harden could be kewl (remember what I said about bringing that word back? Have you started using it yet??)!  

Another issue that I ran into is that because the banana is slippery when you cut it open, it's really hard to spread the PB and have it stay in place.  To help this, I just melted the peanut butter to make it softer and easier to lather on that sucker. 

Yuhhh-mee!

In a totally unrelated subject, I just had to share this picture with you.

Old Man Fonzie knows where you LIVE!

How creep-tastic is this picture?? I mean seriously, why the heck is he sitting like that?! Kenzie, Kate, and I really couldn't figure it out. Either way, I'm really glad I got a picture of it, because it is really freakin' weird and hilarious. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Anywho, I'm out for now to read and hang in with Joseph for a cozy snow-day :) Have a sweet Saturday! -Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment