Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sweet Mercy, I Can Eat Gluten Again!

Holy junk, having to eat gluten-free for a week was rough. Really rough. Especially for someone who grew up thinking that "bread" was the main food group. But I stuck it out as best I could for the past week in order to try to understand what kind of decisions and sacrifices Claire has to make on a daily basis.
 
My idea of a balanced diet up until I was 20 in my childhood.


Let me tell you, it takes a special kind of person to really be able to stick with that kind of diet (and I don't mean special in that kind of way, though Claire coincidentally happens to fall in that category as well). So yesterday I made a point to include gluten in all of my meals (seriously, I missed it that much).

Breakfast was my typical bowl of oatmeal; however, during my gluten-free days I stuck with Quaker Oats Quick Oats because they were "plain" flavored, and oftentimes the instant packs of oatmeal contain gluten in the flavorings. So I would add some cinnamon or raisins to spice it up.  But yesterday morning, I was allowed to have Maple and Brown Sugar Food Lion brand oatmeal!! What a treat! :) (Two packs, of course, since one pack never seems to fill me up enough).


Oatey McOatster


After a busy morning (of sitting on my butt in class...how exhilarating), I had worked up an appetite for something that had been sitting in my fridge ALL week since I had bought it before my gluten-free week and couldn't eat it the entire time: pesto tortellini from Trader Joe's. And MAN was it worth the wait good!



Tortellini, asparagus and cheeeeeez
 
I heated up the last of some wilting asparagus in the fridge (which I had made earlier in the week), tossed some mozzarella cheez on the top, and it was deee-lightful!

Around dinner, I was in a hurry to get to a group meeting, so it had to be quick. Even though it wasn't anything fancy, it was just as exciting as lunch, since I was able to have my Hotocado filling open-face on two (count 'em, TWO!) whole wheat pieces of toast.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM BREEAADDD.

All in all, I'd say I am much more appreciative of being able to eat gluten-full foods after having forgone them for a week. So Claire, I'd like to commend you for being able to adhere to such a horrible strict diet (even if you have to for your health)!  It really is difficult.

Finally, yesterday was my stretch and strengthen day, and it was absolutely beautimus here outside (60 degrees and sunny! In January?! Whatever, I'll definitely take it...) so I opted for a nice 4 mile walk around the lake near my house. It was very relaxing, and nice to get some low-impact activity in, too.

How's the weather where you are?  I hope it's nice for the rest of the week. Maybe I'll be able to do one of my runs around the lake! :) I'm really excited for tonight's dinner, so I'll let you know how it goes a little later...have a glute-tastic day! (I know I will). -Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment